One of the most ordered dish in my catering business of 4 years is my own version of Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes. What makes this dish so good is the wonderful creaminess of milk topped in the juicy and tender beef patties. It is so easy to prepare and takes up less of your time especially when you are preparing for a big crowd. Salisbury Steak is almost the same with Hamburger Steak but differs in ingredients. It is made of ground beef with gravy or brown sauce and served with mashed potatoes or noodles. It originated from the US but there are different versions available in making this recipe. I made my own revisions and my customers simply love it!
Salisbury Steak with Mashed Potatoes
1 kilo Ground Sirloin Beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 305-gram Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 can Evaporated Milk
1/4 tsp liquid seasoning
1 cup sliced button mushroom (reserve the liquid)
2-4 tablespoons butter
1/2 kilo of Potatoes, peeled, sliced into squares
1 stalk celery
1 can of all purpose cream
1/4 cup Butter
Salt and Ground Pepper
1. Prepare Mashed Potatoes first. After peeling and slicing the potatoes, boil it together with the celery until tender about 10-15 minutes. Mashed it thoroughly.
2. Mix the potatoes with cream, butter and season it with salt and pepper.
3. Put it aside in a serving platter while doing the steak.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine beef, breadcrumbs, onion and eggs. Mix well.
5. Shape the beef mixture into 10 patties. In a large skillet, melt butter and brown the patties 2 or 3 at a time at about 2 or 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to desired wellness. Make sure that you don’t over crowd patties for it will shrink when being cooked. Place the cooked patties and arrange it beside the mashed potatoes.
6. In a saucepan, combine mushroom soup, milk, liquid seasoning, mushroom and reserved liquid. Heat and simmer until mixture is smooth, stirring it occasionally about 3 minutes. Pour the mushroom sauce on top of the patties.
7. Served hot.
This recipe taste so good that one would think it is difficult to make. Try it and you will see how wonderful it is to be able to do something so simple but can give so much delight to your family and friends.